NASPAA Standards Colloquia
The NASPAA Executive Council, together with the Standards Committee, convened a series of conversations to begin the decennial review of the NASPAA Accreditation Standards. In the latest step of this process, the Standards Committee offered proposed revisions to the Standards, to enhance their inclusivity and global competency, while retaining their flexibility and wide applicability. Revisions are minimal, but represent important areas of growth critical to the future of the field of public service education. The Committee appreciates the thoughtful feedback of our stakeholders and looks forward to finalizing the proposed revisions in consideration of this feedback. If you were unable to formally provide comments, you are still welcome to email comments directly to email@example.com.
- Reinforce global public service values, especially with respect to transparency, accountability, participation, and inclusion;
- Strengthen expectations and clarity with regard to diversity and inclusion;
- Enhance universal required competencies to emphasize quantitative analysis, a rapidly changing policy environment, and better align with the multisectoral skills needed of public servants; and
- Assert nonprofit management at the core public affairs education.
The initial draft of changes to the Standards is available both with tracked changes and without. The Standards Committee is working to finalize revisions and submit them for a vote of accredited programs at the NASPAA Business Meeting on October 18, 2019.
For more information regarding the philosophy and rationale behind the proposed revisions, please refer to the following documents:
- NASPAA Standards Colloquium Steering Committee March 2019 Report to the Executive Council
- Data Science White Paper, David Van Slyke (on behalf of the NASPAA Research Committee)
- Sustainable Development Goals White Paper, Jack Meek and Laurel McFarland (forthcoming)
We greatly appreciate your time and input throughout the Colloquia and Revisions processes.
For an overview of the entire process, please visit this page.