Pi Alpha Alpha Social Media and Virtual Summit Coordinator Internship
Pi Alpha Alpha Social Media and Virtual Summit Coordinator Internship — Paid, Part-time
Summer and Fall 2021
This is an exciting virtual internship opportunity, ideal for a graduate student interested in higher education, public policy, event planning, and social media. The student chosen for this internship will have the opportunity to revamp Pi Alpha Alpha’s social media presence and bring together students from around the nation and the globe for a virtual Pi Alpha Alpha Summit in October 2021, as part of the NASPAA Annual Conference.
The Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA) is a nonprofit association in Washington DC, dedicated to ensuring excellence in public service education and promoting the ideal of public service. We are a membership association of over 300 graduate education programs in public administration, public policy, and public affairs located across the US and around the globe. NASPAA is also the accreditor of master’s degree programs in these fields.
Pi Alpha Alpha (PAA) is the Global Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration. There are more than 180 chapters located around the world at NASPAA member schools. PAA is owned and operated by NASPAA. The purpose of PAA is to encourage and recognize outstanding scholarship and accomplishment in public affairs and administration. Its objectives, such as fostering integrity, professionalism, and effective performance, promote the advancement of quality in the education and practice of the art and science of public affairs and administration. PAA membership identifies those with the highest performance levels in educational programs preparing them for public service careers.
NASPAA and Pi Alpha Alpha are seeking a master’s student in fields such as public policy, public affairs, public administration, education, or similar field with an interest in social media and event planning for an internship position for approximately 18 weeks (depending on start date) Summer and Fall of 2021, starting sometime in late June or early July, and finishing on October 29.
Primary job responsibilities are expected to include:
- Plan and execute PAA’s first-ever virtual summit to be held in October 2021 during the NASPAA Annual Conference, duties would include, but not limited to:
- Facilitating planning meetings
- Reaching out to chapters to develop panels for students and chapter advisors. Topics could include:
- Job opportunities
- Professional Development and participation in professional associations - ASPA, COMPA, APPAM, etc.
- Arranging a keynote speaker – preferably a leading practitioner or academic in our field
- Spotlight PAA award winners
- Spotlight PAA’s new social media environment
- Create virtual networking happy hour
- Revamp and recreate PAA’s Social Media presence:
- Reenergize PAA’s Facebook Page
- Recreate PAA’s Linked Page and solicit contributors for ongoing content
- Solicit ideas and contributors for ongoing content on PAA’s Twitter feed
- Generate more PAA Twitter followers
Additional projects depending on the applicant’s experience and interests could include:
- Developing ideas for a redesigned PAA website
- Developing a strategy for compiling PAA membership records and making them accessible via a cloud-based database
The intern/project assistant position will pay $15-$17 per hour and will be part time (10-20 hrs/week) (depending on project status and deliverables). Doctoral candidates will also be considered.
Due to the pandemic NASPAA is currently working both in person and remotely. The intern chosen for this position will demonstrate they can be highly productive in a remote environment of virtual supervision by being responsive, self-motivated, and adaptable. If the intern resides in the Washington DC Metropolitan area, he or she will have the option of coming into the office 1-2 days per week and following Covid protocols such as mask wearing and social distancing.
Applicants should have:
- Completed the equivalent of at least one semester of a master's or doctoral program in public policy, public administration, education, or a related field
- An understanding of the subject matter and values of public affairs education and of higher education
- An interest in public service education and higher education administration
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analysis skills, able to independently research and communicate information in a compelling manner
- Strong writing skills, especially in presenting messages for public consumption.
- Demonstrated experience planning events, especially virtual events using Zoom or another platform
- Affinity for networking and participating in professional development opportunities
- Demonstrated extensive social media experience especially with Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Strong facility with Microsoft Office software – MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong facility with Google apps, especially docs and sheets
- Demonstrated ability to work in a virtual environment
- A desire to work in a non-profit and academic-oriented setting and confidence in dealing with academics and government professionals
Preferred qualifications, but not required:
- Pi Alpha Alpha Membership
- Eligible to be inducted into Pi Alpha Alpha
The deadline is rolling. We will start considering applications immediately, but applications will be accepted until filled. The posting on publicservicecareers.org will be removed once the position is filled-- otherwise potential applicants should assume the position is still open. This internship is a time-limited position and does not include benefits. NASPAA is an equal opportunity employer.
Please e-mail your letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Pi Alpha Alpha Social Media and Virtual Summit Coordinator Internship.” All candidates will have their social media site reviewed for appropriateness. A list of references will be required from candidates selected as finalists.